http://bigosbibletime.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

2 Kings 19:14 8/11/2026

“Then Hezekiah took the letter from the hand of the messengers and read it, and he went up to the house of the Lord and spread it out before the Lord.”

That’s how you handle a problem. 

King Hezekiah had just been given an ultimatum by the King of Assyria to surrender Jerusalem or be destroyed.... His response is a template for us to follow when we are threatened. No matter your position, no matter how powerful you think you are … the way you handle a problem is to go to God,  lay it in front of Him, and wait. 

I must confess, that is not always my response… I can picture myself receiving this threatening letter and firing off a terse email… or strategizing how best to fight. Or stomping around shouting “how dare they” …etc. But I love the clear, concise language in this verse. He took it from the servant…. read it…. took it to the temple…. spread it out before the Lord. 

Why do we so often respond differently? Is it because we have forgotten God’s power? Have we forgotten that God loves us more than we can comprehend? At no point in this process does Hezekiah appear to feel alone or desperate… Why do we? Why do we preach God’s deliverance until we are the ones threatened? 

“IF” I go to the Father, I usually come with my own plan, and instead of faith I come in fear. My prayer is usually instructive as though God needs my guidance in resolving the problem. When will I realize that any energy, spent outside of getting my issue before the Lord, is wasted energy? 

Since Hezekiah went directly to God and trusted Him, the Lord replies: ” … ‘Because you have prayed to Me about Sennacherib king of Assyria, I have heard you.” That verse is followed by about ten verses describing things God is going to do for Hezekiah… that Hezekiah cannot do for himself. And that is the point. That is how we find peace. 

So today if you get ambushed by an unexpected danger,  spread it out before the Lord and lean on Him. He is not surprised and if you’ll turn loose of the reins, and have a little faith, He will handle it. 

 “God’s plan is still working even when your plan is falling apart.” 
- Max Lucado


No comments:

Post a Comment