http://bigosbibletime.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

2 Corinthians 4:17 9/8/2026

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

When I was in elementary school, I received a rock tumbler as a gift. I was amazed when I first used it and saw that what had once been dull average looking rocks had become shining jewels.  This led to what I am sure was my Mom’s and sisters most memorable Christmas as they received exquisite rings and necklaces  that I had handcrafted from the rocks I had tumbled for weeks.  Strangely, I don’t remember anyone but my mom actually wearing them.

Looking back, that little machine was a great illustration. The friction caused by the constant motion slowly wore off the dull outside of the rocks and revealed a beauty that, without the abrasiveness, would have never been seen.  Paul says that the troubles of this world do the same thing.  They are not only endurable, but they actually serve the purpose of achieving eternal glory for us.  The constant tumbling and rubbing and bumping into the trouble found in this world removes rough edges.  The abrasion reveals beauty buried deep inside. 

The key to the process is the grit.  The stones themselves do  not do  the work… it is the small, almost imperceivable grit that does the work of shining.  The other indispensable ingredient is time. There are no shortcuts and there is no way to speed up the process. 

As people chasing after God’s own heart, we must be tumbled around a bit ourselves. The friction generated by the irritants of this world reveals what is beneath the surface of your life. If you have been redeemed, grinding and scuffing will begin to reveal the beauty of the Spirit of God as the rough edges are smoothed away. 

There is no doubt that we will all enter the tumbler today, surrounded by enough grit to wear away the carefully crafted façade we show our friends and followers. Make sure the beauty of God is at your core, so when the trials of this world remove the outer layers, people are drawn to what lies beneath. Though your heart may at times appear to be common and dull, allow the constant pressure created by the trials of this world to reveal it as a priceless gem.

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.” - Helen Keller


No comments:

Post a Comment